The basis of many dishes is chicken or fish, but the distinctive taste is due to ingredients not found outside Africa. This food is served in many restaurants in Dakar. Although Senegal is predominantly a Muslim country, alcohol is available.
- Poulet Yassa (Chicken with lemon, pimento and onions)
- Thiéboudienne (Rice and fish)
- Mafé (Chicken or mutton in peanut sauce)
- Dem à la St Louisienne (Stuffed mullet)
- Akkra (A kind of fritter)
- Toufam (A kind of yogurt thinned with sugared water)
- Mint tea - The first cup drunk slightly bitter, the second with more sugar and the third very sweet
- Palm wine, which is drunk either fresh or fermented
- Home-roasted coffee with pimento
A service charge of 10-15% tends to already be included in the restaurant bills.